Stories in Stone New York: A Field Guide to New York City Area Cemeteries & Their Residents - Douglas Keister In Stories in Stone New York, Keister offers cemetery aficionados, a fresh approach to the typical cemetery tome you’d normally find in the regional or local interest section of your nearby bookstore. This latest installment doesn’t hold back any punches. Coupled with beautiful graveside photographs, not to mention GPS coördinates, which will guide you along the way. As you visualize some of the most beautiful cemetery architecture, & artwork you’d find anywhere in the region. All the while strolling along the beautifully landscaped acres, admiring the gravesites of famous, and sometimes not so famous, movers and shakers of New York’s bygone eras.

In the book Keister pounds the pavement when it comes to the cemeteries highlighted in this handy pocket-size guide-book. The cemeteries, which you will no doubt be mesmerized by with the sights when you see them. Include but is not limited to: The Big Four (Green-Wood, Woodlawn, Kensico, & Sleepy Hollow). Historic Manhattan resting places, such as The Holy Trinity’s, St. Marks Church in-the-Bowery, & Ulysses S. Grant’s Presidential Tomb. Rounding off the cemeteries your also going to find Calvary, Cypress Hills, Ferncliff, Gate of Heaven, Moravian cemetery, and the old and new versions of St. Raymond’s, nicely represented as well.

The theme of Stories In Stone New York, is pretty much on par with Keisters other cemetery travel books. Especially when it comes to the sections on symbolism/iconography, and not to mention architecture. One of the things I enjoyed about this book, aside from the potpourri collection of famous personalities who have concise biographies, is the Stories In Stone section. This particular section includes a few heartwarming stories, which I’m sure you will enjoy. As I wrap things up let me just say this book will most definitely make a nice addition to your cemetery or grave hunting library. Even if you’ve never been to New York, like me or plan to visit the region in the future, I think you’d enjoy this book.